Spice And Orange Cutout Cookies
As you get more comfortable baking, cookie recipes are a great place for learning and practicing your baking skills. There are two common types of cookie recipes. One type is drop cookies which are mix, drop and bake. Cutout cookies, sometimes referred to as rolled cookies, can require a little more time and effort. Both types result in delicious treats when you are done.
By using some slight variations of ingredients you can control the texture of the cookie that you are making. A drop cookie will be softer while a cutout cookie will be crispier. You can also control the shape of a cutout cookie better, drop cookies will spread as they bake.
Many bakers like to make cutout cookies because they can create wonderful designs after the cookie has baked. While drop cookies have all of their ingredients added before baking, cutouts will have ingredients added after baking in the form of icings and candy toppings.
How Do The Cookies Get Their Shape?
Cutout cookies are rolled cookies, meaning that you will roll out the dough on a floured surface and then cut into the size and shape the you want the cookie to be. This recipe is for cookies that are rectangle shaped but you can make any shape that you are inspired to make.
The sugar cookies that we all enjoy at holidays are good examples of cutout (or rolled) cookies. Often they are cut with a cookie cutter so that the shapes are consistent. This recipe is not quite that exacting, we are just cutting our dough into rectangles.
Spice And Orange Cookie Ingredients
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 4 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 3 tablespoons meringue powder
- 5 to 6 tablespoons warm water
- Assorted decorations: raisins, cranberries and sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl,use your stand mixer to cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, corn syrup and orange zest. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and cloves; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Divide dough in half.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough into a 9-in. square. Cut into 18 rectangles, 3×1-1/2-in. each. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges are light golden. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For icing, in a large bowl, combine confectioners’ sugar, meringue powder and enough water to reach a piping consistency. Beat on high speed with a portable mixer 10-12 minutes or on low with a stand mixer 7-10 minutes or until peaks form. Frost cookies using a #3 round tip. Pipe designs onto the cookies and decorate as desired. Add candies and fruit as the mood strikes.